Saturday, July 14, 2012

GIANT sunflower(s)

We've had a horrible year for sunflower germination, both at the school and at home.  We planted lots of seed and have very few plants. Ironically, we planted all different kinds of sunflowers from a couple/few different companies.  I just read in Organic Gardening that birds LOVE sunflowers in the two to four leaf growth stage - micro heaven I suppose!?  Any who, lots of seeds, few plants.

The crazy thing is that we have two GIANT sunflowers in the school garden that are accidentals from last year.  They are crazy big and beautiful, and just hitting their stride.  Stop by and see them.

So, the fusurium wilt is getting bad.  I've lost one tomato plant completely and a couple more are going south.  These are the ones that we started in the grow room and I believe they were heirloom, or organic.  I'm going to search through my seed packets and notes to see if I can see which.  They other problem is that I stuck them in a place I planted tomatoes last year that gets the minimum sun.

So much for my pledge of hybrid and crop rotation, and, and, and...  I am going to pull them in a day or two and start a second planting of I don't know what yet.

The corn is showing off as are the pumpkins and zinnia, and peppers, and edamame, and snap beans, and eggplant.  Too cool.

Thanks again to the Hopes and Couches for watering and weeding while I was suffering surfing.  Yea for them!

Check out the Front Porch Farm plots through out Belair-Edison.  Hybrid and water is working! Yum.

Go to a County Fair, or as many as you can.  Kate and I went to Talbot County Fair yesterday and had a blast and gleaned a lot.  Crossing the Bay to see Bay-based agriculture is always a thrill.  I am always encouraged to see how Maryland is helping farmers be Bay friendly by promoting sustainable agricultural practices. A few baby farm animals and rescued horses, donkeys, and mules always helps to warm one's heart too!

See at a Fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment