Thursday, May 31, 2012

Some Seeds are in the Ground

Today I planted mammoth sunflower, sweet corn, snap beans and edamame.    Two experiments for me and the corn this year.  The first is that I am using seed that was packaged to be sold by11/11.  Supposedly seed is good for out to three years, so I am curious about germination rates.  I have a second set of seeds for this year, which I will sow toward the end of the school year as a second crop and to see which germinates better.  The second experiment is with the sweet corn.  We had great luck with popcorn and indian corn three years ago, so I am curious to see how this turns out.

I am also new to snap beans and edamame.  The corn and edamame are in the 90 day range and the snap beans are 55 to 60 days.  I plan on doing a second planting of snap beans in late July.

I always love the mammoth sunflowers.  The are always very tall with big heads and lots of seeds. Yum.  I hope to have a forest of them this year.

Tomorrow I hope to plant more of the ornamental sunflowers and some nasturtiums.

No comments:

Post a Comment