Monday, September 14, 2009

Rain in Baltimore, Sun at Monticello

Mrs. Buckley's son Brandon and I left the rains in Baltimore on Friday morning and traveled to the 3rd annual Heritage Harvest Festival at Thomas Jefferson's homestead in Charlottesville, Virginia. Organic gardening, sustainable living, hierloom seed saving and sales, and hierloom tomato tastings were some of the highlights of the day. We made sure to buy some cool weather crop seeds from the Southern Seed Exchange booth that we will make sure the 5th grade gets to add to their fall and spring garden.

I also purchased a book "100 vegetables and where they came from" by William woys Weaver that I will pass on to the school once I finish reading it.

Brandon and I also spent time down in Lynchburg, Virginia (about 60 miles south of Charlottesville) and went to their town farmers market. The farmers market had many great fruits and vegetables from local farmers for sale. We bought and ate the biggest and tastiest Honey Crisp apples we have ever had. I wish I would have bought more than I did! I met a wonderful woman here in Lynchburg that is going to send pictures of her garden to our 5th graders and read our blog.

Look up the festival to see the many exciting presenters and vendors present who also make their products available online.

I've heard another harvest has occurred in GSB's Organic Teaching Garden and I can't wait to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment