Wednesday, October 24, 2012

5th graders' new plantings and a Pine Warbler

The 5th graders have spent time over the last two days planting at the Farm.  Yesterday they planted salad boxes  that contain leaf lettuces and will be ready to eat anywhere from 30 to 50 days.  Today they planted garlic and took time to observe the gardens as they get ready for winter.

Shallots and two different 30 day Chinese cabbages also joined the ranks.

Many migratory birds are making their way through the area and today I saw a Pine Warbler in the Pollinator/butterfly garden.  As uber cool the siting was for me, I had startled the bird and it turns out the bird put on a broken-wing fake out for me.  The bird hopped to the ground with it's right wing slightly askew and hopped into a bunch of strawberry plants.  As I kept my eye on the spot where it went into the strawberries, I called Mrs. Primm to come see.  She came right out and we went looking for the "injured' bird.  We looked and looked, but it was gone.

So when we got home we looked in our bird guides to identify the bird.  We then looked online to see if that bird does a broken-wing act and sure enough it does!

How about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment