Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Harlequin Bugs

Yes Harlequin bugs, new at school but not for me. They are beautiful: red and black striped, or black and red striped -whatever! They are VORACIOUS sap-suckers and they love the cabbage family: cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc. The first time I got them in my home garden was about four years ago during my first attempt at Brussels sprouts.

Like I said, they are sap-suckers. Your leaves will look like they are wilting. Shriveled up, and dry, and brown at the edges. However it is not a lack of watering effort, it is their great effort to suck every last drop of sap out of your plant.

What to do!? Since we are organic I use a manual pest remover. My fingers. I water and squish and squish and squish and...

It is too bad they are so bad because they are so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment